According to Manistee Public Safety Director David Bachman, at 1:42 pm Tuesday afternoon units were dispatched to Lake View apartments.
When units arrived they discovered smoke coming from the second floor apartment, they confirmed the occupants were safely out.
The apartment was filled with smoke and too hot for anyone without protective gear to enter. Ventilation was established which helped bring the situation under control.
The apartment suffered fire and heavy smoke damage. There were no injuries to the citizens or any firefighters. The rest of the units were re-occupied after the fire crews left.
The fire was caused when an occupant tried to fry chicken. The grease got too hot and ignited on top of the stove. The occupant tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, which resulted in pushing the fire into the cabinets and ceiling.