On Wednesday Officers were notified by Holiday Inn Express employees of finding a suspicious backpack plugged into an outlet. The bag contained a cell phone charger and cell phones. Upon arrival, a deputy made contact with suspect Candice Lee Fennell of Oceana county. Scott Erik Phelps of Mason County fled on foot. Fennell was arrested on a parole violation from the Michigan Department of Corrections.
Deputy Ken Baum and K-9 tracking dog Cash were called to the scene to track Scott Phelps behind Lowe’s and through a wooded area, over a creek and fence before heading east across Brye Road and behind Meijer. Phelps was found inside Meijer and arrested at 4:47 a.m. Thursday on a parole violation. Charges are also being sought for allegedly breaking and entering four businesses over the last few months in Amber and Pere Marquette townships. Scott Erik Phelps, 05/22/1972, of Mason County and Candice Lee Fennell, 01/15/1996, of Oceana County have both been arraigned on charges of
• Count 1: Safe Breaking, Life Felony
• Count 2: B&E—A Building with Intent, 10 year Felony
• Count 3: B&E—A Building with Intent, 10 year Felony
• Count 4: B&E—A Building with Intent, 10 year Felony
• Count 5: B&E—A Building with Intent, 10 year Felony
• Count 6: Burglar’s Tools—Possession, 10 year Felony